|Betty Frost Jenkins Young Artist Concerto Competition||« Back|
UW-Stevens Point Noel Fine Arts Center
The Betty Frost Jenkins Young Artist Concerto Competition provides a high-quality performance experience for the finest young musicians from Central Wisconsin, and assists them in pursuing advanced study.
The grand prize winner will receive a $500 cash scholarship to assist with their musical studies, and will appear as soloist with the CWSO on the December subscription concerts. An honorable mention may also be named.
Rules and Eligibility
- Competitors must be instrumentalists in grades 9-12 during the 2020-21 school year (in grades 8-11 at the time of the competition).
- Competitors or their private music teacher must reside within the following geographical boundaries: Highway 2/Michigan (North), Highway 21 (South), Highway 13 (West), and Highway 45 (East)
- Competitors will perform a movement or standard excerpt of a concerto of their choice, not to exceed fifteen (15) minutes in length. The selection must be an original concerto composed for the instrument and orchestra (no transcriptions).
- Repertoire must be approved by the CWSO before the application deadline. Criteria for approval include availability of music, rental/purchase cost, and suitability with the CWSO’s programming. Preferred deadline for repertoire approval is April 1, 2020. Completed application deadline is April 9, 2020.
- Competitors must perform with piano accompaniment, to be hired at the competitor's own expense.
- Competitors must perform their music from memory.
- Judges have complete discretion in the awarding of the prize(s), including the option to name no winner. Their decisions shall be final. Previous grand prize winners are not eligible to compete again.
- Winner must be available to perform with the CWSO on December 5 and 6, 2020, and to rehearse with the orchestra as required by the conductor. Tentative required rehearsals are December 1 and 4, plus concert weekend. No alternative performance dates will be available.
- Submit repertoire choice for approval, preferably by April 1, 2020. Email email@example.com with the title, composer, movement, and publisher/edition to receive confirmation of approval before the April 9 application deadline.
- Complete the online application form by April 9 (https://forms.gle/CQKFpJayf7TjGbZT6)
- Ask music teacher to complete online recommendation by April 9 (https://forms.gle/sHsuPEmAqXg6wS77A)
- Mail a non-refundable $25 application fee postmarked by April 9. Checks or money orders should be payable to "Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra" and include the contestant's name in the memo line. Mail to: Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra, Attn: YACC, P.O. Box 65, Stevens Point, WI 54481.
Click here to complete the application »