|Betty Frost Jenkins Young Artist Concerto Competition||« Back|
Noel Fine Arts Center - Michelsen Hall
1800 Portage Street
Stevens Point, WI 54481
The Betty Frost Jenkins Young Artist Concerto Competition provides a high-quality performance experience for the finest young musicians from Central Wisconsin, and assists them in pursuing advanced study.
The grand prize winner will receive a $500 cash scholarship to assist with their musical studies, and will appear as soloist with the CWSO on the December subscription concerts. An honorable mention may also be named.
Rules and Eligibility:
- Contestants must be instrumentalists in grades 9-12 during the 2019-20 school year (in grades 8-11 at the time of the competition).
- Contestants or their private music teacher must reside within the following geographical boundaries: Highway 2/Michigan (North), Highway 21 (South), Highway 13 (West), and Highway 45 (East)
- Contestants will perform a movement or standard excerpt of a concerto of their choice, not to exceed fifteen (15) minutes in length. The selection must be an original concerto composed for the instrument and orchestra (no transcriptions).
- Repertoire must be pre-approved before the application deadline. Criteria for approval include availability of music, rental/purchase cost, and suitability with the CWSO’s programming. Preferred pre-approval deadline is March 15, 2019. Completed application deadline is April 1, 2019.
- Contestants must perform with piano accompaniment, to be hired at her/his own expense.
- Contestants must perform their music from memory.
- Judges have complete discretion in the awarding of the prize(s), including the option to name no winners. Their decisions shall be final. Previous grand prize winners are not eligible to compete again.
- Winners must be available to perform with the CWSO on December 7 and 8, 2019, and to rehearse with the orchestra as required by the CWSO Music Director. Tentative required rehearsals are November 19 and December 3, plus concert weekend. No alternative performance dates will be available.
- Submit repertoire choice for pre-approval, preferably by March 15, 2019. Email email@example.com with the title, composer, movement, and publisher/edition to receive confirmation of approval before the April 1 application deadline.
- Complete the online application form by April 1: Application Form
- Ask music teacher to complete online recommendation by April 1: Music Teacher Recommendation
- Mail a non-refundable $25 application fee postmarked by April 1. Checks or money orders should be payable to "Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra" and include the contestant's name in the memo line. Mail to: Central Wisconsin Symphony Orchestra, Attn: YACC, P.O. Box 65, Stevens Point, WI 54481.