|Betty Frost Jenkins Young Artist Concerto Competition||« Back|
UPDATE: The 2020 Betty Frost Jenkins Young Artist Concerto Competition has been rescheduled for Saturday, September 12, 2020.
Completed applications must be submitted by August 31, 2020. Contact CWSO Education Coordinator Mary Moran (email@example.com) with questions.
The Betty Frost Jenkins Young Artist Concerto Competition provides a high-quality performance experience for the finest young musicians from Central Wisconsin, and assists them in pursuing advanced study.
The grand prize winner will receive a $500 cash scholarship to assist with their musical studies. An honorable mention may also be named. The grand prize winner may also appear as soloist with the CWSO on the December subscription concerts, contingent upon public health recommendations at the time of the concerts.
Rules and Eligibility
- Competitors must be instrumentalists in grades 9-12 during the 2020-21 school year.
- Competitors or their private music teacher must reside within the following geographical boundaries: Highway 2/Michigan (North), Highway 21 (South), Highway 13 (West), and Highway 45 (East)
- Competitors will perform a movement or standard excerpt of a concerto of their choice, not to exceed fifteen (15) minutes in length. The selection must be an original concerto composed for the instrument and orchestra (no transcriptions).
- Repertoire must be approved by the CWSO before the application deadline. Criteria for approval include availability of music, rental/purchase cost, and suitability with the CWSO’s programming.
- Competitors must perform with piano accompaniment, to be hired at the competitor's own expense.
- Competitors must perform their music from memory.
- Judges have complete discretion in the awarding of the prize(s), including the option to name no winner. Their decisions shall be final. Previous grand prize winners are not eligible to compete again.
- Winner must be available to perform with the CWSO on December 5 and 6, 2020, and to rehearse with the orchestra as required by the conductor. Tentative required rehearsals are December 1 and 4, plus concert weekend. No alternative performance dates will be available.
Application Form »